Our Lady of Hungarians Episcopal Church - Ister-Granum

Our Lady of Hungarians Episcopal Church

Márianosztra

In 1352, King Louis the Great built a monastery for the only male monastic order founded in Hungary, the Palatines. He had a church built next to the monastery in honour of the Virgin Mary of the Hungarians. The whole settlement was named after the church and its patron saint. In Latin: Maria nostra, which literally translates as Our Lady, in Hungarian as the Lady of the Hungarians, popularly as the Blessed Virgin. In 1535, the monastery of Nostra, ‘renowned for its beauty and wealth and its deep faith’, was destroyed by the Turks. For 25 years after the liberation of Buda, Márianosztra lay in ruins, and in 1711 two pilgrims arrived to prepare the rebuilding: on 14 August 1729, 203 years after the Battle of Mohács, the monastery was revived. The village church has since become an important place of pilgrimage. The miracle-working statue of the Virgin Mary is known as the ‘Black Madonna’.

Show on map

Contact

Our Lady of Hungarians Episcopal Church
2629 Márianosztra
Pálosok tere 2.

Phone:
+3627370771, +36208233864

More information