Mihály Babits (1883-1941), the defining figure of 20th century Hungarian literature, began spending his summers in Esztergom in 1924. It was then that he and his wife (Ilona Tanner, aka Török Sophie) managed to buy this cottage on the outskirts of the village. After the poet’s death, the house became a ‘ghost house’. In 1960, the National Monument Inspectorate declared the house a protected monument, and reconstruction plans were drawn up. After the restoration work was completed, the Babits House was opened on 6 August 1961 as a memorial site and museum open to the public and literature lovers.
balassamuz.e@vnet.hu
http://balassamuzeum.hu/babitshaz-mihaly-emlekhaz/